FCPNY

FCPNY
Serving free paper publishers, sales managers and salespeople in NY state

Thursday, July 11, 2013

"I'm a people person," she said with a smile...

I have no idea how many sales interviews I have conducted or sat in on through the years. A whole lot, I know that. In more than a fair share of them, at one point or another, the applicant answered the "why do you like sales" or "why should we hire you" question with "Well, I'm a people person...I like talking to people...I like working with people." As opposed to working with wildebeests and Buicks? The interview was over at that point, mainly because I always felt that these very nice people just didn't get it. Now I have proof.

I attended an AdMall webinar this morning, and picked up a lot of valuable information about this tremendous sales research tool, one I thought I knew pretty well already. Great stuff. This one was on local accounts and I recommend it. During the introduction, host Dave Blakeslee put up a slide that summarized some research done on what advertisers look for in an advertising/media representative. Number one answer? Survey said (DING!): "someone who knows my business." 64% of the respondents said this was what they look for, followed by "someone who knows my customers" at 59%. (Multiple choice answers account for percentage totals in excess of 100%).

Coming in dead last, mentioned by 7% of the respondents: "someone likable." You know, a people person.

When you think of advertising you think "creative", a trait considered most important by 35% of the respondents or a little more than half of those who'd rather have someone concentrate first on getting to know what their business is all about. And then learning what that business' customers are thinking and buying. Advertisers don’t need buddies; they need advisors, trusted resources. That’s where you come in. That's not to say that people skills, relationship-building skills aren't important. They are, but should be implemented in the direction of engagement based on the value of information and research-driven advice the well-informed rep brings to their table. There will be plenty of time to talk about golf, fashion, kids and other topics after you've made the client (and yourself) fabulously successful by being a premier asset in their business.


FCPNY members: training on how to develop and implement research from member-benefits like AdMall and CVC audits and on topics like understanding small business marketing is available to you in a customized on-site presentation. Just drop me a note at tcuskey@fcpny.com or call 315-472-6007. Thanks very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment