FCPNY

FCPNY
Serving free paper publishers, sales managers and salespeople in NY state

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I assume you've heard this lesson before...

Tomorrow, October 11 is my 38th wedding anniversary. So today, October 10, I went card shopping. Hey, why wait 'til the last minute?

At the drugstore where I went to select the perfect greeting there were a few stacked boxes of cards in the aisle right in front of the "Wife Anniversary" selection. I was working around them, checking out cards when one of the store employees -- a not too happy gal about my age -- came up to me.

"Where's our girl?" she asked me.

"What girl is that?" I replied.

"The regular card girl," she exclaimed. "Doesn't matter, I 'll just have it out with you!"

Mistaking me for the "card guy", I guess, she proceeded to rip me a new one for the lack of effort and good service the greeting card vendors have apparently put forth recently. I waited for a break in her delivery before I uttered "Excuse me, but I am just buying a card."

"Oh," was her somewhat cool apologetic response. "Step up to register two when you're ready."

I'd have complained to the boss but I was too grateful for the great training material to turn her in. Put yourself in her shoes. I'm walking around these boxes, taking out cards, putting them back, not looking very romantic. I totally get it. I looked like a card guy. And I have no idea how rough of a day this gal may have had before she saw me. But it doesn't matter, none of it. She's in sales and customer service and you never assume anything. Anything.

Get flatly turned down by a prospect the last three or four times you approached them? Don't assume they hate you or that the door is closed forever. No matter how unwilling you may be for another letdown, don't assume that's the expected result. Go back in -- you never know when the decision maker, the mood or the need there may change.

Talking about your home improvement tab with a contractor who is driving a dirty old pickup?  Doesn't look like he's in a position to spend on anything but a new pair of jeans to replace the torn, ratty ones he's wearing? Don't assume he can't afford a half page ad on the front end of what should be an eight-week campaign if that's what he needs. Your competitor won’t.

To be successful you have to be a good detective, snooping out great leads and prospects. But the best detectives ask questions and dig for good, reliable information before they draw a conclusion, not an assumption. That is the exact approach to take in your daily sales adventures. Think back on your last 24 hours on the job? Have you driven past prospects that you don't think will invest in advertising? Have you not touched base with a great customer because you assume your relationship is airtight and a competitor will never steal it from you? We all make assumptions everyday; don't be embarrassed if you have made some. Just be sure to not make the mistake twice. Stop assuming, start selling.

You may also assume that you and your staff don't need a little tune-up or training, even if it's just a refresher on the basics. Stop assuming and call us here at 877-275-2726 or drop me an email at tcuskey@fcpny.com to arrange for your next on-site training session. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment